- Research associate Willem Basson was the Vaal Triangle Campus winner of the S2A3 bronze medal at the Institutional Excellence in Research Awards in 2014. Willem developed a new technique for improving automatic speech recognition through category-based phoneme-to-grapheme transliteration.
- PhD student Oluwapelumi Giwa received an ISCA Travel Grant to attend Interspeech 2014, Singapore.
- Research professors Marelie Davel and Etienne Barnard received the NWU Top Technology Innovator Award 2013.
- Prof Etienne Barnard received a Google Research Award in 2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013.
- Post-doctoral fellow, Dr Charl van Heerden was nominated as one of Mail & Guardian’s 200 Young South Africans in 2011.
- MuST hosted the Spoken Language Technology for Under-resourced Languages (SLTU) 2012 conference in Cape Town, May 2012.
- MuST co-organised the MediaEval Spoken Web Search Task in Pisa, Italy, 2011 and 2012.
- MuST participates in the conferring of the 1000th IT doctoral degree at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany. (Read more)
- MuST forms part of the winning consortium of the BABEL project. (Read more)
- A web-based speech transcription platform developed by the MuST team has applications for government and the private sector. (Read more)