The purpose of this photo competition is to recognize the finest images of life science specimens, or researchers in action and use these extraordinary images of life science disciplines to promote its mission and activities.
Delegates are invited to boast with their photographic skills by submitting a photograph in the following categories:
- Laboratory work: our magnificant world.
- Fieldwork: research in action [please note that photographs submitted for this category should be identifiable as fieldwork. This can be through the inclusion of a person, fieldwork equipment or by any other means]
- Proudly South African: spectacular indigenous flora
Elegibility and rules
The SAAB 2022 Photo competition is a life science digital imaging competition where images/photographs may be captured using any type of an imaging equipment to bring out specific information in the image.
- Eligibility: The competition is open to all delegates.
How to enter:
- Photographs should be submitted as a jpeg or png file.
- Please note that there is a 20mb limit on image sizes (re-size before attemping to upload).
- Please name your photograph's file as the name that you would like to have your photo presented in the exhibition, e.g. Horizon by Betty Richards, before uploading it.
- Limit: Each participant may submit not more than one (1) image per theme.
Photo voting: All eligible images will be voted based on the following criteria:
- Science – Uniqueness of the specimen or processes shown, importance of work, depiction of real scientists in action
- Visual Impact and creativity– Beauty or impact of the image, photo quality
- Technical Merit – Challenge of specimen itself – difficulty of capturing structures or data shown, photographic excellence
Judging and awards
Photographs will be displayed throughout the conference.
Delegates can vote for a winning photograph by clicking here.
The winning photograph/er will be announced during the prize giving session.