- Be nationally leading and relevant as well as internationally recognised.
- Engage in research which is of current significance.
- Establish and advance a knowledge-base in each of our sub-disciplines.
- Make a valuable contribution to the South African academic environment.
- To consolidate expertise in our current research foci.
- To build on the unique skill set at NWU by exploring cutting edge new fields which integrate this expertise.
- To build capacity in fields of current relevance like the mathematics of quantum field theory, environmental mathematics and the mathematics of risk analytics.
- To encourage the growth and development of young and emerging researchers through mentorship and access to financial support.
- To create a forum for lively academic debate.
- To showcase emerging fields and provide basic access to these fields to interested graduate students at a national level.
Scope of enquiry
- Functional analysis, Operator Theory and Applied Linear Algebra.
- Algebra, Topology and Combinatorics.
- Mathematical Physics and related Mathematical Structures.
- ODE’s, PDE’s and Dynamical Systems.
- Nonparametric methods
- Goodness-of - fit testing and change point problems
- Financial Statistics